Hannes Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Johan:
Cognate of John (God is gracious), which is from the Middle Latin Johannes, an evolution of the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Joannes. Joannes is from the Greek Iōannes, a derivative of the Hebrew Yehanan, a short form of Yehohanan, which is from yehōhānān (Yahweh is gracious). The name, borne by several important biblical characters, was also borne by many saints, twenty-three popes, and many kings throughout Europe.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hannes? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hannes
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hannes
- Comments and insights on the name Hannes
- Personal experiences with the name Hannes
- Nicknames for Hannes
- Meanings and history of the name Hannes
- Famous real-life people named Hannes
- Hannes in song, story & screen