Hector Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hector:
Derived from the Greek Hektōr (holding fast), which is from echein (to hold, to have). The name Hector is borne in the Iliad by a Trojan hero who was killed by Achilles to avenge the death of Patroclus, Priam's oldest son.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hector? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hector
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hector
- Comments and insights on the name Hector
- Personal experiences with the name Hector
- Nicknames for Hector
- Meanings and history of the name Hector
Hector, Tamer of Horses, the elder Prince of Troy from Homer's The Iliad
- Famous real-life people named Hector
Hector Elizondo, American actor
Hector Bellerin, Spanish footballer for Arsenal FC
- Hector in song, story & screen
Hector's House - a British children's cartoon in the 1970s. Always ended with a tagline that went: "I'm a xxxx old Hector" a different adjective every time.
Hector Rivera, the deuteragonist of the Pixar film, Coco
Hector "Zero" Zeroni, a group-mate/friend of D tent to Stanley Yelnats in "Holes."