Henri Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Henry:
From the French Henri, from the German Heinrich, which is from the Old High German Haganrih (ruler of an enclosure), a compound name composed from the elements hag (an enclosure, a hedging-in) and rihhi (ruler), and from the Old High German Heimerich (home ruler), a compound name composed from the elements heim (home) and rik (ruler, king). The name, introduced by the Normans and borne by eight English kings, took the English vernacular form of Harry until the 17th century, when Henry became popular and Harry was used as the pet form.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Henri? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Henri
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) 2014
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Estonian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Estonia 2014
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France
- Estonian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Estonia
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Henri
- Comments and insights on the name Henri
Henri and Rhine are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
My Mother ask her OB for a female version of the name Henry. Her father who never had a son but six girls. She chose to name me after him but could not find a name she liked. The OB was French and told my mom he would ask his mother. My name us Henria. It is pronounced with a French accent as Henri is pronounced. I love my name and many people have told me it is beautiful.
- Personal experiences with the name Henri
This is my fathers name. I like the spelling of it.
I know a little girl named Henri...short for Henrietta.
- Nicknames for Henri
- Meanings and history of the name Henri
- Famous real-life people named Henri
(Antoine) Henri Becquerel, French physicist and one of the discoverers of radioactivity
Henri Cartier-Bresson, French photographer considered the father of modern photojournalism
Henri Matisse, French artist
Henri Rousseau, French artist
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, French artist
- Henri in song, story & screen