Hugues Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hugh:
From the Old French Hue, which is from the Old High German Hugo, a derivative of hugu (heart, mind, spirit). Hugh was used to Anglicize the Gaelic names Aodh, Uisdean, and Eoghan.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Hugues
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hugues
- Comments and insights on the name Hugues
- Personal experiences with the name Hugues
I have a cousin Hugues and we pronounce it oogh
- Nicknames for Hugues
- Meanings and history of the name Hugues
A French form of Hugh and a variant of Hugo.
- Famous real-life people named Hugues
Hugues de Payens, a Frankish knight who was the co-founder of the Knights Templar.
Hugues Capet, 10th century French king.
Hugues Aufray, French singer.
- Hugues in song, story & screen