Ishmael Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ishmael:
From the Hebrew yishmā'ē'l (God hears). The name is borne in the Bible by the son of Abraham and his concubine Hagar. Ismael is the patriarch of the Arabs.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Ishmael? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ishmael
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ishmael
- Comments and insights on the name Ishmael
- Personal experiences with the name Ishmael
- Nicknames for Ishmael
- Meanings and history of the name Ishmael
Ishmael is Abraham's eldest son and first born. Ishmael is born of Sarah's handmaiden Hagar (Genesis 16:3).
- Famous real-life people named Ishmael
- Ishmael in song, story & screen
Ishmael - Narrator & protagonist in the novel 'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville