Jesus Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Jesus:
Derived from the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Iesus, which is from the Ecclesiastic Greek Iēsous, a name derived from the Hebrew yēshū'a, a contraction of yehōshū'a (help of Jehovah, God is salvation). The name, an equivalent of Joshua, is bestowed in honor of Jesus Christ (c. 4 B.C. - c. A.D. 29), the founder of the Christian religion and son of God and the Virgin Mary, regarded by Christians to be the promised Messiah. Unlike most Christians, who decline to use the name Jesus out of respect, Christians in the Spanish-speaking world commonly bestow it to bring the bearer under the special protection of the son of God.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jesus? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jesus
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Mexican Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Mexico 2013
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jesus
- Comments and insights on the name Jesus
- Personal experiences with the name Jesus
- Nicknames for Jesus
- Meanings and history of the name Jesus
Po trzech dniach wrocil do szkoly
- Famous real-life people named Jesus
- Jesus in song, story & screen
Jesus of Nazareth son of Joseph and Mary.