Johan Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Johan:
Cognate of John (God is gracious), which is from the Middle Latin Johannes, an evolution of the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Joannes. Joannes is from the Greek Iōannes, a derivative of the Hebrew Yehanan, a short form of Yehohanan, which is from yehōhānān (Yahweh is gracious). The name, borne by several important biblical characters, was also borne by many saints, twenty-three popes, and many kings throughout Europe.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Johan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Johan
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark 2014
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark, 2010
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark for 2012.
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway
Contribute your knowledge to the name Johan
- Comments and insights on the name Johan
Johan and Jonah are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Johan
- Nicknames for Johan
- Meanings and history of the name Johan
Scandinavian form of Johann.
- Famous real-life people named Johan
Johan Santana, Major League Baseball pitcher for the New York Mets.
Karl Johan, former King of Sweden (as Charles XIV John) and King of Norway.
Johan Ludvig Runeberg, national poet of Finland.
Johan, son of model Heidi Klum and singer Seal.
- Johan in song, story & screen
Johan, the main antagonist in the manga "Monster."