Julius Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Julius:
A borrowing from the Latin, Julius originated as an old Roman family name thought to be derived from Iulus (the first down on the chin, downy-bearded). As a person just beginning to develop facial hair is young, “youth” became an accepted meaning of the name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Julius? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Julius
- Finnish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Finland 2014
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany 2014
- Finnish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Finland, 2010
- Finnish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Finland for 2012
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany
Contribute your knowledge to the name Julius
- Comments and insights on the name Julius
- Personal experiences with the name Julius
- Nicknames for Julius
Jules, Jule, Yule, Jay
- Meanings and history of the name Julius
- Famous real-life people named Julius
Axelrod, Julius (1912-2004): American biochemist and Nobel Prize winner for his work into neurotransmitters
Caesar, Julius (100-44 B.C.): the most famous ruler of the Roman empire. His life has been dramatized in several works, most notably by William Shakespeare.
Erving, Julius "Dr. J" (b. 1950): American basketball star and sports legend
Held, Julius S. (1905-2002): art historian and longtime professor of art history at Barnard College
Marx, Julius "Groucho" (1890-1977): American comedian
Peppers, Julius (b. 1980): American football defensive end for the Chicago Bears
Schwartz, Julius Schwartz (1915-2004): editor of DC comics
- Julius in song, story & screen
Julius Rock - Chris' dad on the TV show Everybody Hates Chris
Julius Godding in "The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place" by Julie Berry