Leonhard Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Leonard:
A borrowing from the Old French, Leonard is from the Old High German Lewenhart, a compound name composed from the elements lewo (lion) and hart (strong, brave, hearty): hence, "brave as a lion, lion-hearted." The name was introduced to England by the Normans but did not become popular until the 19th century. Var: Lennard.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Leonhard? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Leonhard
Contribute your knowledge to the name Leonhard
- Comments and insights on the name Leonhard
- Personal experiences with the name Leonhard
- Nicknames for Leonhard
- Meanings and history of the name Leonhard
- Famous real-life people named Leonhard
Leonhard Euler, Swiss mathmetician
Jim Leonhard, American football specialist for the Buffalo Bills
- Leonhard in song, story & screen