Élie Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Elijah:
Derived from the Hebrew 'ēlīyāhū (Jehovah is God). The name was borne by a 9th century B.C. prophet who, after many years of service, was taken up into heaven in a chariot of fire.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Élie? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Élie
Contribute your knowledge to the name Élie
- Comments and insights on the name Élie
- Personal experiences with the name Élie
I know a girl named Elie - spelt without the accent on the 'E'. It is short for Elizabeth.
- Nicknames for Élie
- Meanings and history of the name Élie
French form of Elijah/Elias
- Famous real-life people named Élie
Élie Ducommun, Swiss Nobel Peace Prize laureate
Elie Wiesel, Romanian author and Nobel Peace Prize laureate
- Élie in song, story & screen