Maurus Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Maurice:
Derived from the Latin Mauritius (Moorish), a derivative of Maurus (a Moor). The Moors were a Muslim people of mixed Arab and Berber descent; thus the name came to mean "dark" or "swarthy" in reference to their coloring.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Maurus? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Maurus
Contribute your knowledge to the name Maurus
- Comments and insights on the name Maurus
- Personal experiences with the name Maurus
- Nicknames for Maurus
- Meanings and history of the name Maurus
Latin name meaning "dark skinned."
- Famous real-life people named Maurus
Saint Maurus was the first disciple of St. Benedict.
- Maurus in song, story & screen