Miguel Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Miguel:
Spanish cognate of Michael, a Hebrew name derived from mīkhā’ē‘l (Who is like God?). The name is borne in the Bible by one of the seven archangels. He is the one closest to God and is responsible for carrying out God's judgments. Considered the leader of the heavenly host, Michael is regarded as the patron of soldiers.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Miguel? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Miguel
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Portuguese Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Portugal 2014
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Portuguese Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Portugal 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Portuguese Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Portugal
Contribute your knowledge to the name Miguel
- Comments and insights on the name Miguel
- Personal experiences with the name Miguel
Miguel Ángel is a common combination and is frequently used as a double name.
- Nicknames for Miguel
Miguelin Miguelito Mike Miggley Miggs Michael Miggy Miggie GALAXY LORD Gay
- Meanings and history of the name Miguel
Used by both the Spanish and Portuguese
- Famous real-life people named Miguel
The priest Miguel Hidalgo led the fight for independence in Mexico.
Miguel Gallardo, singer, songwriter and music producer.
Miguel de Cervantes, author of 'Don Quixote'.
Miguel Herrán, spanish actor, best known for playing the roles of Aníbal Cortés "Río" in Money Heist (La Casa de Papel) and Christian Varela in Élite. In 2016, he won the Goya Award for Best New Actor for his role in the film Nothing in Return.
José Miguel Cabrera Torres, commonly known as Miguel Cabrera and nicknamed "Miggy", is a Venezuelan professional baseball player; he is currently on the Detroit Tigers M.L.B. team. [source: Wikipedia]
- Miguel in song, story & screen
"Maya and Miguel" is a PBS Kids show.
St. Michael the Archangel, whose feast day is September 29th.
Miguel, one of two main characters in DreamWorks' animated feature film 'The Road to El Dorado' (voiced by Kenneth Branagh).
Miguel Rivera, the main character in Pixar's film 'Coco' (voiced by Anthony Gonzalez).
I LOVE YOU MIGUEL EVEN THO YOU DON'T TALK TO ME OR KNOW ME! STILL LOVE YOU BRO