Morrey Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Morris:
Variant of Maurice, a borrowing from the French which is derived from the Late Latin Mauritius (Moorish), a derivative of Maurus (a Moor). The Moors were a Muslim people of mixed Arab and Berber descent; thus the name came to mean "dark" or "swarthy" in reference to their coloring. Maurice was introduced to Britain by the Normans and underwent several variant spellings before returning to the original form.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Morrey
Contribute your knowledge to the name Morrey
- Comments and insights on the name Morrey
- Personal experiences with the name Morrey
- Nicknames for Morrey
- Meanings and history of the name Morrey
- Famous real-life people named Morrey
- Morrey in song, story & screen