Niall Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Neil:
Anglicized form of the Gaelic Niall, which is of disputed meaning. Some believe it is from niadh (a champion); others think it is from néall (a cloud).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Niall? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Niall
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Niall
- Comments and insights on the name Niall
Niall is my #1 boys name.
- Personal experiences with the name Niall
- Nicknames for Niall
- Meanings and history of the name Niall
Niall of the Nine Hostages was one of the High Kings of Ireland in the 4th or 5th century. He was the founding ancestor of the Uí Néill (O'Neil) dynasties. Their descendants controlled Ulster until the Nine Years War of the early 17th century, after which the leaders fled to Europe, signaling the end of Gaelic clan rule in Northern Ireland. (The Flight of the Earls)
- Famous real-life people named Niall
Niall Horan, singer in popular British boy band One Direction.
Niall Comas, British YouTube sensation "Pyrocynical"
Niall Matter, Canadian actor.
Niall Ferguson, British historian, who specialises in financial and economic history.
Niall Breslin, singer/song writer
- Niall in song, story & screen