Niels Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Nils:
Danish and Swedish cognate of the Greek Nikolaos (victory of the people) a compound name composed of the elements nikē (victory) and laos (the people). The name was borne by St. Nicholas, a 4th-century bishop of Myra about whom many legends have grown. He is known to children as the bringer of gifts on Christmas.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Niels? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Niels
Contribute your knowledge to the name Niels
- Comments and insights on the name Niels
- Personal experiences with the name Niels
- Nicknames for Niels
- Meanings and history of the name Niels
- Famous real-life people named Niels
Niels Bohr, Danish physicist, made fundamental contributions to understanding atomic structure and quantum mechanics.
- Niels in song, story & screen