Nils Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Nils:
Danish and Swedish cognate of the Greek Nikolaos (victory of the people) a compound name composed of the elements nikē (victory) and laos (the people). The name was borne by St. Nicholas, a 4th-century bishop of Myra about whom many legends have grown. He is known to children as the bringer of gifts on Christmas.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Nils? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Nils
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden 2014
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany 2014
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (German)
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden for 2012
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Nils
- Comments and insights on the name Nils
- Personal experiences with the name Nils
- Nicknames for Nils
Nilsy; NooNoo; Nilsybub (mothers - these are cute when they are FIVE, and a great way to embarrass them when they are SIXTEEN!); Arsebandit
- Meanings and history of the name Nils
This is anecdotal, but I was told by a dear old Norwegian lady that it was a viking name, a proud, strong male name from the days when the Vikings took to the waters - originally driven out of hunger and a need to feed their children and families, rather than bloodlust.
Norwegians today are such a lovely people - I cant imagine their period in time when a good portion of the world quaked in fear at their mention.
If this snippet of history is true, it makes it all the more interesting, but either way it's a great name.
Sources I've seen say it means 'Champion'.
- Famous real-life people named Nils
Nils Noren, VP of of culinary arts the French Culinary institute in New York. Contestant on Top Chef Masters.
Nils Petter Molvær, Norske jazz trumpeter, Oslo, Norge.
Nils Lofgren, guitarist with Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band
Nils Abrahamsson, friend with famous Swedish YouTuber.
Nils Allen 'Booboo' Stewart Jr, American actor
- Nils in song, story & screen
The Wonderful Adventures of Nils is a book by Selma Lagerlöf. It has been made into movies and the character is even featured on the reverse side of the Swedish 20 krona banknote (according to Wikipedia).
Also, in the original Rescuers book, there is a heroic Norway rat named Nils.