Pontus Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Pontus? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Pontus
Contribute your knowledge to the name Pontus
- Comments and insights on the name Pontus
Might someday be the new Titus?
- Personal experiences with the name Pontus
- Nicknames for Pontus
- Meanings and history of the name Pontus
Probably from Greek, though it's been seen in Scandinavia too. The agreed-upon meaning seems to be "sea", especially as Pontus was a lesser-known Greek sea god. In Greek the Black Sea is called "Pontus Euxeinos", or "hospitable sea".
- Famous real-life people named Pontus
Pontus de Tyard, a French poet
Pontus Wernbloom, a Swedish soccer player
- Pontus in song, story & screen
A character in the vaguely sexist but nevertheless pleasingly domestic "Papa's Wife", by Thyra Ferre Bjorn. Pontus was the papa.