Ramsay Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ramsey:
Transferred use of the Scottish surname originating from several different place-names. It is derived from the name Hræm's Island, which is from the Old English elements hræm(n) (raven) and ég, íg (island); from Ram's Island, which is from the Old English ramm (a ram) and ég, íg (island); or from Ramm's Island, which derives its name from the Old Norse elements rammr (strong) and ey (island).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Ramsay? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ramsay
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ramsay
- Comments and insights on the name Ramsay
- Personal experiences with the name Ramsay
- Nicknames for Ramsay
- Meanings and history of the name Ramsay
- Famous real-life people named Ramsay
- Ramsay in song, story & screen