Scevola Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Scevola
Contribute your knowledge to the name Scevola
- Comments and insights on the name Scevola
- Personal experiences with the name Scevola
- Nicknames for Scevola
- Meanings and history of the name Scevola
"Scevola" is the Italian form of the Roman cognomen "Scaevola." Derived from Latin 'scaevus' "Left-Handed."
- Famous real-life people named Scevola
Gaius Mucius Scaevola-- who acquired it, according to legend, after he thrust his right hand into a blazing fire in order to intimidate the Etruscan king Porsenna, who, at the moment, was blockading the city of Rome.
- Scevola in song, story & screen
"Muzio Scevola" (Mucius Scaevola, HWV 13) is an opera in three acts about Gaius Mucius Scaevola.