Selby Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Shelby:
Transferred use of the surname derived from an English place-name meaning "a willow grove, a place where willows grow."
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Selby? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Selby
Contribute your knowledge to the name Selby
- Comments and insights on the name Selby
- Personal experiences with the name Selby
- Nicknames for Selby
- Meanings and history of the name Selby
English surname originally taken from the town in Yorkshire, England. The meaning is derived from the Old Norse selja ‘willow’ + býr ‘farm’, ‘settlement’.
- Famous real-life people named Selby
Hubert Selby, Jr., American author.
David Selby, American actor.
Prideaux John Selby, English ornithologist and naturalist.
- Selby in song, story & screen