Timotheus Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Timothy:
Derived from the Greek timē (honor, respect) and theos (God): hence, "honoring God." The name is borne in the Bible by a young disciple and companion of Paul, to whom Paul addressed two epistles.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Timotheus? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Timotheus
Contribute your knowledge to the name Timotheus
- Comments and insights on the name Timotheus
- Personal experiences with the name Timotheus
- Nicknames for Timotheus
Tim, Timmi, Timo
- Meanings and history of the name Timotheus
Originally from Greek, it means "honouring God", "in God's honour", or "honored by God".
Biblical Latin, German, Dutch
- Famous real-life people named Timotheus
- Timotheus in song, story & screen