Ward Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Ward? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ward
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ward
- Comments and insights on the name Ward
- Personal experiences with the name Ward
- Nicknames for Ward
- Meanings and history of the name Ward
The Old English name derives from an occupational surname for a civil guard/keeper of the watch, or alternately as a topographical surname from the word "werd" ("marsh").
The Old Gaelic surname derives from "Mac an Bhaird" ("son of the Bard"). A bard being a story teller or poet.
The two names are completely unrelated ethnically one being Germanic and the other Celtic.
- Famous real-life people named Ward
Ward Bond, actor
- Ward in song, story & screen
Ward Cleaver, the father on "Leave It to Beaver"