Yossel Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Joseph:
Derived from the Hebrew yōsēf (may he add, God shall add). The name is borne in the Bible by a favorite son of Jacob and Rachel (GEN. 30), by the husband of the Virgin Mary and foster father of Jesus (MATT. 1), and by Joseph of Arimathea, a rich Jew and secret follower of Jesus, who helped take Jesus' body from the cross to prepare it for burial, and supposedly took the Holy Grail to England (JOHN 19).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Yossel
Contribute your knowledge to the name Yossel
- Comments and insights on the name Yossel
- Personal experiences with the name Yossel
- Nicknames for Yossel
- Meanings and history of the name Yossel
Yiddish equivalent of Joseph, meaning "God will multiply". An alternative spelling is "Yossil".
- Famous real-life people named Yossel
- Yossel in song, story & screen