Abbigail Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Abigail:
From the Hebrew Avigayil, which is derived from avigayil (father of exaltation, father is rejoicing). The name was borne in the Bible by one of the wives of King David. Tha name also took on the meaning of "a lady's maid," due in part to its use as the name of a maid in the play The Scornful Lady, by Beaumont and Fletcher, in 1616.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Abbigail? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Abbigail
Contribute your knowledge to the name Abbigail
- Comments and insights on the name Abbigail
- Personal experiences with the name Abbigail
- Nicknames for Abbigail
Abby/Abbie/Abbee, Ab, Abs, Abbs, Gail, Gails, Agail, Abgail, Abba, Gabil, Gabz
- Meanings and history of the name Abbigail
- Famous real-life people named Abbigail
Abbigail Bresolin- actress
- Abbigail in song, story & screen