Ailise Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alisha:
Variant of Alice, a name that has evolved through a series of variants of the Germanic Adalheidis, a compound name composed of the elements adal (noble, nobility) and heid (kind, sort): hence, "noble one." Adalheidis was contracted to Adalheid, which the French changed to Adelaide, then contracted to Adaliz, and contracted yet again to Aaliz, Alia, and Alix. The English then changed the spelling to Aeleis, Alys, and eventually to Alice.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Ailise? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ailise
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ailise
- Comments and insights on the name Ailise
- Personal experiences with the name Ailise
- Nicknames for Ailise
- Meanings and history of the name Ailise
Of Irish, Gaelic history.
- Famous real-life people named Ailise
- Ailise in song, story & screen