Ailís Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alice:
A name that has evolved through a series of variants of the Germanic Adalheidis, a compound name composed of the elements adal (noble, nobility) and heid (kind, sort): hence, "noble one." Adalheidis was contracted to Adalheid, which the French changed to Adelaide, then contracted to Adaliz, and contracted yet again to Aaliz, Alia, and Alix. The English then changed the spelling to Aeleis, Alys, and eventually to Alice.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Ailís? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ailís
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ailís
- Comments and insights on the name Ailís
- Personal experiences with the name Ailís
- Nicknames for Ailís
- Meanings and history of the name Ailís
Irish form of Alice.
- Famous real-life people named Ailís
- Ailís in song, story & screen