Alannah Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alannah:
Feminine form of Alan, an old name of Breton origin but of uncertain meaning. Some believe it ot mean "handsome"; others promote the possibility that it is from a Celtic word meaning "rock."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alannah? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alannah
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alannah
- Comments and insights on the name Alannah
- Personal experiences with the name Alannah
My name is Alannah. My mother is of Irish descent and wanted to give me an Irish name. One of the pronunciations for Alannah is ah-LAN-nah. I like the the sound of this pronounciation, it sounds nice and soft. I have lived in South Australia my whole life and unfortunately people here almost always pronounce Alannah as ah-LAR-nah, which is a very hard and grating name to my ears! People here hear the "an" sound in Alannah as the "ar" sound when I say my name.
South Australians use the "long a" as opposed to the "short a". Words like "chance" are pronounced as ch-AR-nce instead of ch-AN-ce. So if you live in a city that uses the same phonology as South Australia, beware: I would not recommend naming your child Alannah if you want it pronounced ah-LAN-nah. Even so, it doesn't matter where you live, it's just one of those names that can be pronounced various ways so you can't count on the fact that people will say it your way.
- Nicknames for Alannah
Lanna, Ala, Lanny, Anna, Lan, Nanna
- Meanings and history of the name Alannah
The name Alannah comes from the Irish term of endearment, "a leanbh", meaning "o child". The blend "bh" in Irish has a "V" sound, but in some parts of Ireland it's silent. So "a leanbh" is pronounced ah-LAN-ahv in Ireland, but the name has ended up as simply "a lanah", or Alannah, the v sound at the end not being pronounced in the Christian name.
Variant of ALANA. It has been influenced by the affectionate Anglo-Irish word alannah, from the Irish Gaelic phrase a leanbh meaning "O child".
- Famous real-life people named Alannah
Alannah Myles - singer
Alannah Hill - fashion designer
- Alannah in song, story & screen