Alannah Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alannah:
Feminine form of Alan, an old name of Breton origin but of uncertain meaning. Some believe it ot mean "handsome"; others promote the possibility that it is from a Celtic word meaning "rock."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alannah? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alannah
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alannah
- Comments and insights on the name Alannah
- Personal experiences with the name Alannah
- Nicknames for Alannah
Lanna, Ala, Lanny, Anna, Lan, Nanna
- Meanings and history of the name Alannah
The name Alannah comes from the Irish term of endearment, "a leanbh", meaning "o child". The blend "bh" in Irish has a "V" sound, but in some parts of Ireland it's silent. So "a leanbh" is pronounced ah-LAN-ahv in Ireland, but the name has ended up as simply "a lanah", or Alannah, the v sound at the end not being pronounced in the Christian name.
Variant of ALANA. It has been influenced by the affectionate Anglo-Irish word alannah, from the Irish Gaelic phrase a leanbh meaning "O child".
- Famous real-life people named Alannah
Alannah Myles - singer
Alannah Hill - fashion designer
- Alannah in song, story & screen