Anastasia Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Anastasia:
Feminine form of the Greek Anastasios (of the resurrection), a derivative of anastasis (resurrection). The name was borne by a daughter of Czar Nicholas II. She was supposedly murdered by the Bolsheviks along with the rest of her family in 1918. However, there is some speculation that she survived the attack.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Anastasia? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Anastasia
- Russian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Russia 2014
- Estonian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Estonia 2014
- Ukranian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Ukraine 2014
- Belarusian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belarus 2014
- Georgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Georgia
- Estonian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Estonia
- Russian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Russia
- Ukranian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Ukraine
Contribute your knowledge to the name Anastasia
- Comments and insights on the name Anastasia
- Personal experiences with the name Anastasia
- Nicknames for Anastasia
Stacy, Staci, Stacie, Stacey, Ana, Ani, Anya, Ania, Anni, Annie, Ann, Anna, Asia, Asya, Stasia, Stasya, Sasha, Tasha, Tasia, Tasy, Sia, Anne, Nastaea, Nadhzeda, Nadia, Nasti, Nastia, Nastya, Tacie, Stasi, Nastasia, Nastasya, Natasha, Natasia, Asia
- Meanings and history of the name Anastasia
The use of the name of Anastasia in the Italian community is the source of Anastasia Cassella-Young's name. She is named after Anastasia Ferrie, her aunt who in turn is named after another Italian aunt and so on. I found it to be said that it is a Russian name but the Italians started using it long ago.
Anastasia is a Saint's name and has been used in the Catholic community because of this.
The name meaning is resurrection - the one who will be born again.
Anastasia was also the name of a Russian grand duchess with the last name nikolaevna the youngest daughter of tzar Nicholas II of Russia who was thought to be murdered but then rumors spread saying she escaped and was alive but not until recently they discovered she had been killed and buried along with another one of her siblings far from the rest of her family.
- Famous real-life people named Anastasia
Anastasia Romanova, Grand Duchess of Russia and the youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas II.
Anastasia of Sirmium (Saint Anastasia) (4th century), Christian saint and martyr
Anastasia (4th century), daughter of Roman Emperor Constantius Chlorus and Flavia Maximiana Theodora
Anastasia (wife of Constantine IV) (c. 650 - after 711), wife of Byzantine Emperor Constantine IV
Anastasia (artist) (flourished c 1400, Paris) French manuscript illuminator
Anastasia Romanovna (died 1560), wife of Ivan the Terrible
Anastasia Beverly Hills, cosmetics designer
Anastasia Griffith, Actress
- Anastasia in song, story & screen
Anastasia, 1997 animated film.
Anastasia, 1956 American historical drama film.
Anastasia Tremaine is one of Cinderella's stepsisters in the Disney film.
Anastasia Steele, 50 Shades of Gray
Anastasia Krupnik, children's novel
Anastasia of the Siberian Taiga, subject of the fictional book series The Ringing Cedars
Anastasia Dualla, a character in the critically acclaimed television show Battlestar Galactica
Anastasia, fictional character from Cowboy Bebop
Anastasia Cayne, fictional character from As Simple as Snow