Aya Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Aya? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Aya
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark 2014
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2014
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2014
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec) 2014
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2012
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark 2015
Contribute your knowledge to the name Aya
- Comments and insights on the name Aya
Aya is a common girl's name in Japan. It's a traditional name, but has been very fashionable since about the 1970's. It is pronounced "Ah-yah".
It is often found combined with other name elements to make a longer name. Ayako is very traditional, and combinations like Ayaka, Ayano, Ayane, Ayana, Ayami are all now fashionable.
The name Aya is well used by Japanese-Americans and by Japanese living abroad, as it fits in well generally with Western names.
In Japanese, it can mean "colourful one" or "beautiful", depending on the character used (Japanese has three scripts)
In Korean, it may come from "loved"
Aya is also a reasonably common Muslim first name.
The verses of the Quran are also sometimes referred to as Aya's.
In Old German, it can relate to "sword" or the big rakes that are used on fields by farmers ("eg" in Dutch)
Then there is the meaning of "wisdom", as in Aya Sophia (the church/mosque in Istanbul)
Aya was also a Sumerian goddess, wife of the sungod Shamash, or UTU.
Aya is a Native American name. Coming from the Cherokee language it means " me" or "of myself."
Aya is also a Hebrew name, and has some usage in Israel.
OTHER SCRIPTS: 彩, 綾, etc. (Japanese Kanji)
USAGE: Hebrew (Modern)
OTHER SCRIPTS: איה
OTHER FORMS: Aia, Aiya
USAGE: Near Eastern Mythology
OTHER FORMS: Aja
GENDER: Feminine & Masculine
USAGE: African, Indian
- Personal experiences with the name Aya
This is my name, Though it is spelled different it's Aaya
Aya is my daughters name. My husband is Syrian and he chose this name. Aya is a growing name in the Middle East and he wanted a name that his family could understand, due to the language. Combined with my grandmother name is Charlotte. I think Aya Charlotte is a beautiful name! I get compliments all the time on how lovely and pretty the name Aya is. I couldn't imagine her name anything else.
Aya is my expected daughter's name. She has an older brother named Arthur. Her full name is Aya Mey Nightengale.
I prefer Aia because it looks prettier written down
- Nicknames for Aya
- Meanings and history of the name Aya
Like most Japanese names, Aya can be written with several different characters, each with its own meaning. It is often written with a character meaning 'coloring/hue'(彩) or a character meaning 'patterned fabric/silk'.
From Japanese 彩 (aya) meaning "colour", 綾 (aya) meaning "design", or other kanji characters with the same pronunciation.
Modern Hebrew acronym for "The Beautiful Land of Israel" (Hebrew: ארץ ישראל היפה).
Means "dawn" in Akkadian. In Akkadian mythology Aya was a mother goddess, the consort of the sun god Shamash, and associated strongly with the rising sun, sexual love, and youth. The Babylonians sometimes called her kallatu meaning "the bride". She developed from the Sumerian goddess Sherida.
- Famous real-life people named Aya
Aya Sumika, an American actress who is half Japanese.
Aya Kawai, a Japanese Olympic figure skater.
Aya Korem, Israeli pop/rock singer and songwriter
- Aya in song, story & screen
Aya Fuse, main character in Scott Westerfelds companion novel to the 'Uglies' series; Extras
Aya Cash, lead actress of the FX television series "You're the Worst"