Briege Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Bridget:
Anglicized from of the Gaelic BrÍghid, which is believed to be derived from brÍgh (strength). The name was borne by an ancient Celtic goddess, by St. Bridget of Kildar (451? - 523), an Irish abbess and patron saint of Ireland, and by St. Birgitta (1302? - 73), a Swedish nun and founder of the Order of the Brigittines.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Briege? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Briege
Contribute your knowledge to the name Briege
- Comments and insights on the name Briege
- Personal experiences with the name Briege
- Nicknames for Briege
- Meanings and history of the name Briege
An Irish form of Bríd, meaning strength.
- Famous real-life people named Briege
Sr Briege McKenna, Catholic nun
Briege Corkery, Irish camogie player, footballer, and stonemason
- Briege in song, story & screen