Ciara Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ciara:
Irish name derived from ciar (black): hence, "black-haired one." In the U.S., Ciara is pronounced phonetically, rather than with its Gaelic pronunciation of keer-ah.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Ciara? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ciara
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ciara
- Comments and insights on the name Ciara
- Personal experiences with the name Ciara
- Nicknames for Ciara
Ki, kiki, k, Ra-ra,ciar, keer
and then you get Ciara
non common sense
- Meanings and history of the name Ciara
Ciara is a popular Irish female name (pronounced keer-ah) and was tenth on the list of most popular names given to baby girls in Ireland in 2006. It is the feminine version of the name Ciarán, meaning "dark", "black", "dark-haired" or "black-haired" in Irish Gaelic, and was also the name of Saint Ciara, a seventh-century Irish saint venerated by the Roman Catholic Church. The name's spelling is often Anglicized as Keira, Kiera, Keara, Kyra or Kira.
In the United States, the name Ciara is pronounced sometimes like the name Sierra as see-ar-uh or see-air-uh. The first pronunciation may have been further promoted in part by the popularity of a perfume brand called Ciara, "C-R-uh" after the initials of Charles Revson) created by Revlon in 1973.
I don't like that.
- Famous real-life people named Ciara
Ciara Cumiskey (Artist and Graphic Designer of Mage Staffing Webcomic)
CIARA Princess Harris (RnB/hip hop artist born in Texas,U.S.A)
- Ciara in song, story & screen
Ciara Kennedy, sister of protagonist Holly Kennedy in Cecilia Ahern's novel "P.S. I Love You" (set in Ireland)
Ciara Princess Harris, known mononymously as Ciara, is an American singer, songwriter, dancer, actress and fashion model. She pronounces her name more like 'Sierra.'