Clair Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Claire:
Derived from the Latin clārus (bright, clear, famous). Clare is a common name throughout Europe and the British Isles, its popularity once due in part to the fame of St. Clare of Assisi (c. 1193 - 1253). The Italian nun who founded the order of the Poor Clares.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Clair? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Clair
Contribute your knowledge to the name Clair
- Comments and insights on the name Clair
Alternate spelling of Claire or Clare
- Personal experiences with the name Clair
- Nicknames for Clair
- Meanings and history of the name Clair
- Famous real-life people named Clair
- Clair in song, story & screen