Célie Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Celia:
Derived from the Latin Caelia, a feminine form of the old Roman family name Caelius, which is believed to be a derivative of the Latin caelum (heaven). Celia is also used as a short form of Cecilia (blind, dim-sighted).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Célie? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Célie
Contribute your knowledge to the name Célie
- Comments and insights on the name Célie
- Personal experiences with the name Célie
- Nicknames for Célie
- Meanings and history of the name Célie
A French variant of Celia.
Pronounced: SEE-lee or say-lee
- Famous real-life people named Célie
Marie-Célie Agnant, Haitian-born Canadian writer.
- Célie in song, story & screen
Celie, main character in Alice Walker's novel "The Color Purple" as well as the subsequent movie and Broadway musical.