Cybil Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Sybil:
Derived from the Latin Sibylla (a fortuneteller, a prophetess). The sibyls, women of ancient Greece and Rome, where mouthpieces of the ancient oracles and seers into the future. In the Middle Ages, they were believed to be receptors of divine revelation; thus Sibyl came into use as an acceptable given name. Var: Sibella.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cybil? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Cybil
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cybil
- Comments and insights on the name Cybil
- Personal experiences with the name Cybil
Cybil is more of a Jewish form of Sybil
- Nicknames for Cybil
- Meanings and history of the name Cybil
- Famous real-life people named Cybil
- Cybil in song, story & screen
Cybil Bennett, a character in the movie and game "Silent Hill"