Diotima Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Diotima
Contribute your knowledge to the name Diotima
- Comments and insights on the name Diotima
With the popularity of names inspired by Greek mythology, why not Diotima?
- Personal experiences with the name Diotima
- Nicknames for Diotima
- Meanings and history of the name Diotima
Diotima of Mantinea is a female philosopher featured in Plato's Symposium who, Socrates says, taught him the "philosophy of love." The name Diotima means "honored by Zeus."
- Famous real-life people named Diotima
- Diotima in song, story & screen
= Polish writer Jadwiga Łuszczewska (1834–1908) used the pen name Diotima (Deotyma).
- German poet Friedrich Hölderlin used the pen name Diotima as a moniker for Susette Borkenstein Gontard, who inspired him to write Hyperion. In this work, the fictitious first-person author Hyperion addresses letters to his friends Bellarmin and Diotima.
- Italian composer Luigi Nono used her name as part of the title of his string quartet: Fragmente-Stille, an Diotima, including quotations from Hölderlin's letters to Diotima from Hyperion in the work.
- Diotima is one of the main female protagonists in The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil
- Diotima was the name of Leni Riefenstahl's character in the silent film, Der Heilige Berg.
- Diotima appears in short poem "Irpen'" by Boris Pasternak.
- Diotima of Mantinea is one of the two main characters in The Pericles Commission and The Ionia Sanction by Gary Corby.
- Diotima is the name of New York-based experimental black metal band Krallice's third album.
- Asteroid 423 Diotima is named after her.