Elanor Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Eleanor:
Derived from Alienor, a Provençal form of the Greek Helenē, which is derived from the element ēlē (light, torch, bright).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Elanor? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Elanor
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elanor
- Comments and insights on the name Elanor
- Personal experiences with the name Elanor
- Nicknames for Elanor
- Meanings and history of the name Elanor
- Famous real-life people named Elanor
- Elanor in song, story & screen
Elanor was used in the Lord of the Rings books, where it is the name of a small, yellow, star-shaped flower growing in Lórien. Lady Galadriel of the elves wears a garland crown of elanor-flowers. Later, Sam the hobbit named his first daughter Elanor because of her golden hair. In elvish, it means "sun-star"