Elen Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Helen:
Cognate of the Greek Helenē, which is derived from the root ēlē (light, torch, bright). The name is borne in Greek legend by the beautiful wife of the king of Sparta. Her abduction by the Trojan prince Paris sparked off the Trojan War.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Elen? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Elen
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elen
- Comments and insights on the name Elen
- Personal experiences with the name Elen
- Nicknames for Elen
- Meanings and history of the name Elen
Welsh origin, variant of Helen, means 'light'.
In Tolkien's invented Elvish language of Quenya, Elen means "star" or sometimes "elf"
- Famous real-life people named Elen
- Elen in song, story & screen