Elfleda Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Elfleda
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elfleda
- Comments and insights on the name Elfleda
- Personal experiences with the name Elfleda
- Nicknames for Elfleda
- Meanings and history of the name Elfleda
Old English, meaning "noble beauty"
Saint Ælfflæd (654–714) was the daughter of King Oswiu of Northumbria and Eanflæd. She was abbess of Whitby Abbey from the death of her kinswoman Hilda in 680, first jointly with her mother, then alone. Ælfflæd (fl. 10th century) was the second wife of Edward the Elder, king of the English. Ælfflæd was the daughter of Æthelhelm, ealdorman of Wiltshire. She married king Edward, c. 901.
- Famous real-life people named Elfleda
- Elfleda in song, story & screen