Embla Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Embla? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Embla
Contribute your knowledge to the name Embla
- Comments and insights on the name Embla
Embla, Mabel and Melba are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Embla
- Nicknames for Embla
- Meanings and history of the name Embla
In Norse mythology, Embla was the first woman. Her name comes from the Old Norse word for 'elm'. The first man, Askr, comes from the Old Norse word for 'ash' (tree).
- Famous real-life people named Embla
- Embla in song, story & screen
The mythological story of Embla appears in the Poetic Edda (compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional sources)and also in the Prose Edda (written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson).