Eurydice Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Eurydice? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Eurydice
Contribute your knowledge to the name Eurydice
- Comments and insights on the name Eurydice
The original Greek pronunciation is ef-ree-THEE-kee.
- Personal experiences with the name Eurydice
- Nicknames for Eurydice
- Meanings and history of the name Eurydice
The name is from the story of Orpheus and Eurydice.
Eurydice, wife of Orpheus, was bitten by a snake died. Orpheus went to the Underworld to beg for her to be returned to him. Persephone and Hades (rulers of the Underworld) agreed, but only under the condition that Orpheus must lead Eurydice out of the Underworld without looking back at her. Before Orpheus reached the outside, he glanced behind him, only to see Eurydice disapear.
- Famous real-life people named Eurydice
- Eurydice in song, story & screen