Freyja Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Freya:
Feminine form of Frey (lord, he who is foremost), Freya has the definition "lady, mistress, noblewoman." In Norse mythology, Freya was the goddess of fertility. A daughter of Njord and a sister of Frey, Freya was the most beautiful of the goddesses. She owned the Necklace of the Brísings, the Brísingamen.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Freyja? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Freyja
Contribute your knowledge to the name Freyja
- Comments and insights on the name Freyja
- Personal experiences with the name Freyja
- Nicknames for Freyja
- Meanings and history of the name Freyja
- Famous real-life people named Freyja
- Freyja in song, story & screen