Gertrudis Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Gertrude:
Derived from the Old High German Geretrudis, a compound name composed of the elements ger (spear) and trut (maiden, dear) or þruþ (strength). The name Gertrude was introduced to England in the Middle Ages by German immigrants.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Gertrudis? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Gertrudis
Contribute your knowledge to the name Gertrudis
- Comments and insights on the name Gertrudis
Spanish version of Gertrude.
- Personal experiences with the name Gertrudis
- Nicknames for Gertrudis
- Meanings and history of the name Gertrudis
- Famous real-life people named Gertrudis
- Gertrudis in song, story & screen