Gjertrud Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Gertrude:
Derived from the Old High German Geretrudis, a compound name composed of the elements ger (spear) and trut (maiden, dear) or þruþ (strength). The name Gertrude was introduced to England in the Middle Ages by German immigrants.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Gjertrud? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Gjertrud
Contribute your knowledge to the name Gjertrud
- Comments and insights on the name Gjertrud
The Danish and Norwegian form of "Gertrude".
- Personal experiences with the name Gjertrud
- Nicknames for Gjertrud
- Meanings and history of the name Gjertrud
"Spear of strength", from Germanic elements.
- Famous real-life people named Gjertrud
Gjertrud Schnackenberg, American poet
- Gjertrud in song, story & screen