Hazel Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hazel:
Taken from the name of the hazelnut tree, which is derived from the Old English hæsel (hazel). Alternatively, the name can also be derived from the Hebrew hazā'ēl (God sees).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hazel? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hazel
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) 2014
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hazel
- Comments and insights on the name Hazel
- Personal experiences with the name Hazel
- Nicknames for Hazel
My name is Hazel and my nn's are: Hazelet, Shnayzie, Haze/y and Hazelnut.
We call my Hazel Elle
Silly nicknames of Zelly or Zelly Belly.
My beautiful daughter name is 'Hazel'.
Coming from child's creativeness, one Hazel became Halls (like the candy) and Hallie.
Miss Metal Detector
Our Cat Hazel (Not saying it's a cats name) gets nn Haze or 'the Z'
- Meanings and history of the name Hazel
The Hazel tree is common and produces a popular nut. Hazel trees are known as magical and have connections to intelligence in Celtic mythology. There is also a flowering plant called 'Witch Hazel'.
- Famous real-life people named Hazel
Hazel Scott, jazz and classical pianist and singer, former wife of Adam Clayton Powell
Hazel Miner, "guardian angel of the prairie" and folk heroine, who died saving her siblings during a spring blizzard in Center, Oliver County, North Dakota
Hazel Crowney, British-born Bollywood (India) film actress
Hazel Dickens, American bluegrass singer
Hazel O'Connor, British singer-songwriter and actress
Hazel R. O'Leary, former United States Secretary of Energy
Hazel Patricia Moder, daughter of Julia Roberts
Hazel Wolf, Northwest environmental leader, who lived to be 101
Hazel Bruger, swiss stand-up-comedian
Hazel Krasinski, daughter of actor John Kransinski and actress Emily Blunt
Hurricane Hazel, 1954 Category 4 hurricane that caused extensive damage in Haiti and the US. The name is retired from the Atlantic basin.
Hazel Grace Busby, one of the Busby Quints
- Hazel in song, story & screen
Hazel, punk indy band in the 90s.
Hazel Jean Rock, song by Hasil Adkins.
Hazel is also a Bob Dylan song: "Hazel, stardust in your eye / You're going somewhere and so am I / I'd give you the sky high above / Ooh, for a touch of your love."
Hazel, character in the webcomic "Girls with Slingshots"
Hazel, male rabbit and hero of Richard Adams' Watership Down
Sister Hazel, alternative rock band from Gainesville, FL, whose style blends elements of folk rock, pop, classic rock and southern rock
"Hazel" classic comic strip about a maid to a middle-class family
"Hazel", 1960s TV series based on the comic strip, starring Shirley Booth as Hazel
Witch Hazel, a witch in the Little Lulu comics. Also the name of a healing product.
Hazel Grace Lancaster is a character in John Green's YA novel, "The Fault in Our Stars" (2012)
Hazel Levesque is a main character and a daughter of Pluto in Rick Riordan's fantasy series "Heroes of Olympus".
"Hooray for Hazel," a sixties pop song by Tommy Roe.