Ilsa Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ilsa:
Originally a pet form of Elizabeth, Elsa is now in common use as an independent given name and was popularized as the name of the affectionate lioness in the book and film Born Free.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Ilsa? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ilsa
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ilsa
- Comments and insights on the name Ilsa
Ilsa, Isla and Lisa are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Ilsa
- Nicknames for Ilsa
- Meanings and history of the name Ilsa
- Famous real-life people named Ilsa
- Ilsa in song, story & screen
The tragic heroine in Casablanca
Ilse Burnley is the title character's best friend in L.M. Montgomery's "Emily of New Moon" series.