Ingrid Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ingrid:
From an Old Norse compound name composed of Ing (a byname of the fertility-god Frey) and friđr (fair, beautiful): hence, "beautiful Ing." Frey is said to have been the most handsome of the gods in Norse mythology. The name Ingrid has become extremely popular, due in part to the affection bestowed upon Ingrid, the queen mother of Denmark, and the fame of the Swedish film actress Ingrid Bergman.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Ingrid? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ingrid
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden for 2012
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway for 2012
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ingrid
- Comments and insights on the name Ingrid
- Personal experiences with the name Ingrid
- Nicknames for Ingrid
Inga, Inger, In, Inzie, Ingie, Grid, Gridiron, Ing, Inny, Gri, Idgie , Ingy, Inguado, Indie, Inky
- Meanings and history of the name Ingrid
Ingrid means "beautiful as Ing" (a Norse god)
- Famous real-life people named Ingrid
Ingrid Bergman, actress
Ingrid Newkirk, animal rights activist and author
Ingrid Betancourt, Colombian senator and presidential candidate
Ingrid Bolso-Berdal, Norwegian actress
Ingrid Chau-Go, Famous Blogger
Ingrid Victoria Sofia Louise Margareta, Queen of Denmark, Princess of Sweden
Ingrid Alexandra, Princess and future queen of Norway
Ingrid Martz, Mexican actress
Ingrid Michaelson, American singer/songwriter
Ingrid Nilsen, Youtube Personal
Ingrid Vandebosch, model
- Ingrid in song, story & screen
Ingrid, heroine of Hans Christian Anderson's story "The Snow Queen"
Ingrid Magnussen, character in Janet Fitch's novel "White Oleander", played by Michelle Pfeiffer in the subsequent film.