Irene Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Irene:
Derived from the Greek Eirēnē, which is from eirēnē (peace). The name is borne in Greek mythology by the goddess of peace, the daughter of Zeus and Themis.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Irene? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Irene
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2014
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian)
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012
- Most Popular Girls' Names of 1950, United States
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
Contribute your knowledge to the name Irene
- Comments and insights on the name Irene
- Personal experiences with the name Irene
- Nicknames for Irene
Rene, Renie, Nene, Ira, Irenie, Ire, I, Ree, Reen, Reenie
- Meanings and history of the name Irene
From Greek, meaning "peace".
- Famous real-life people named Irene
Irene Dunne, Academy-award nominated actress
Irene Lentz, American clothing designer in Los Angeles; costume designer for films in the 1930s
Irene Ryan, American actress
Irene Pappas, Greek actress
Irene Urdangarín (b. 2005), daughter of Infanta Cristina of Spain and handball player Iñaki Urdangarín.
Princess Irene of Hesse and by Rhine, sister of Empress Alexandra of Russia (she was named for the peace that concluded the Austro-Prussian War in 1866, the year she was born.)
Princess Irene of the Netherlands, sister of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark, sister of Queen Sofia of Spain
Irene Castle, American dancer
Irene Piotrowski, Lithuanian-Canadian athlete
Irene Cara, American singer, Academy Award-winning songwriter and actress of African, Cuban and Puerto Rican descent
Irene de Kok, Dutch judoka
Irene Eijs, Dutch rower
Irene Jacob, French-born Swiss actress
Irene Bedard, Native American (Alaskan: Inupiat Eskimo and Métis) actress best known for her portrayal of Native American characters
Irene Saez, Venezuelan politician and former Miss Universe
Irene van Dyk, successful goal shooter for the New Zealand netball team, the Silver Ferns
Irene Hunt, American novelist
Irene Bae, South Korean leader, main rapper, lead dancer and vocalist of South Korean pop girl group Red Velvet
- Irene in song, story & screen
"Goodnight Irene," American folk song
"Irene," Christian rap song by Toby Mac
"Me, Myself & Irene," Comedy starring Jim Carrey & Renée Zellweger
Irene Adler, character from the Sherlock Holmes story "A Scandal in Bohemia"
Irene Adler, the X-Men villain Destiny-named for the Sherlock Holmes character.
Irene Merryweather, a supporting character of the superhero Cable
Irene is the given name of the queen of Attolia in Megan Whalen Turner’s Queen’s Thief series.