Isobel Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Isabel:
A Spanish variant of Elizabeth, which is from the Hebrew elīsheba' (God is my oath).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Isobel? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Isobel
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales (2013)
- Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Wales, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Isobel
- Comments and insights on the name Isobel
- Personal experiences with the name Isobel
- Nicknames for Isobel
Ib (Rhymes with Eve)
- Meanings and history of the name Isobel
Isobel is the Scottish form of Isabel, a Spanish variant of Elizabeth meaning "God is my oath".
- Famous real-life people named Isobel
Isobel of Huntingdon, Scottish princess and ancestor of Robert the Bruce, king of Scotland.
Isobel Campbell, Scottish singer, composer, and cellist.
Isobel Miller Kuhn, missionary
Isobelle Carmody, Australian science-fiction writer
Isobel Bird, American author
Isobel Hawking Stephen Hawking's mom
- Isobel in song, story & screen
Isobel Crawley, character on TV series "Downton Abbey"
Dr. Isobel Katherine Stevens, character on TV show "Grey's Anatomy"
The wonderful Bjork song, "Isobel".
Isobel Granger from "A Little Princess", she's only mentioned once but still
Isobel Martin, character from the novel "The Night Circus."