Josephine Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Josephine:
English form of the French Joséphine, a feminine form of Joseph, which is derived from the Hebrew Yōsēf (God will add, God will increase).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Josephine? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Josephine
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Queensland)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Josephine
- Comments and insights on the name Josephine
1. I was named after my grandma, Josephine. My grandma spells her name the Italian spelling which is Giuseppina. I have always been called Josie for short. I love my name. And I have always received compliments on my name. As a child, I was always the only Josie that I knew and loved it.
2. Josephine is a very beautiful name. It's my little sister's middle name. I have always loved the name Josephine.
3. This is my daughter's name. She's still young, but so far we haven't had many try to shorten it, mainly, I think, because we don't, and others take our lead. People regularly comment on how pretty it is. I love that it's not an unusual name, but hasn't (yet) had a revival. I also love that it's pretty standard to spell - hard to go wrong.
- Personal experiences with the name Josephine
1. My name is Josephine and I have never really liked it, the only other people I have ever come across with the same name are all over 60. I shorten my name to Jo but it means alot of people I have assume I have a more common name such as Joanna people also commonly put aan e on the end of Jo which is very annoying.
2. My name is Josephine, and I reckon the name is overdue for a revival. although I didn't like it as a child, I've come round to it, mainly because other people say they like it. There are advantages and disadvantages...
3. We named our daughter "Josephine" because it is a strong female name. She loves it. We also call her "Josie". She was named after my brother, Joseph. When our son , Oliver was born, we had a joke that Oliver and his Round Head dethroned the "Little Empress" (an allusion to both historical characters:Oliver Cromwell and Josephine Bonaparte).
4. My name is Josephine and I hate being called "Jo" or "Josie." I go by "Joie." No, not "Joey," even though it's pronounced the same. The name Josephine has french routes, so my mom decided to spell "Joey" as J-O-I-E because the word "joie" in french means joy. Why I posting this? Because even if Josephine is an old name there are still some ways to make it creative.
*The name has not been really popular for a century, so, unlike many names, it does not date you, because it is not associated with a particular decade, era, or fashion.
* It will always be associated with Napoleon Bonaparte's wife, the Empress Josephine, which is pretty glamorous.
*Also, Jo in Little Women
*You won't be one of a crowd with the same name.
*The name doesn't seem to be associated with any particular social class or group.
*People will always shorten it to Jo, which is fine. But you do get idiots who spell Jo as 'Joe', even though they can see you are female.
- Nicknames for Josephine
Jo,Joey, Josie, Fina, Nina, Jody, JoJo, Poppy, Sadie, Sophie, Sophia. Jozy
- Meanings and history of the name Josephine
Historical note: Josephine Bonaparte was actually christened 'Marie Josephe Rose', and was always known as Rose until she met Napoleon, who picked up her middle name and adapted it to 'Josephine'. So perhaps there's a chance that the name was invented by Napoleon? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows of the name being in use before the 1790s, when Napoleon met Josephine.
Josephine, Texas, United States
The name Josephine has been used for five tropical cyclones in the Atlantic Ocean.
1984's Hurricane Josephine -stayed far away from U.S. coast, but was so large that tropical storm-force winds were felt at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
1990's Hurricane Josephine - wandered around Atlantic, performing a full loop at one point. Never threatened land.
1996's Tropical Storm Josephine - formed in the Gulf of Mexico, made landfall in Florida and moved over the eastern states, causing $130 million in damage.
2002's Tropical Storm Josephine - short-lived storm that remained in the open sea.
2008's Tropical Storm Josephine - storm that remained in the open sea.
- Famous real-life people named Josephine
Josephine de Beauharnais, empress and wife of Napoleon Bonaparte
Josephine Foster - American folk singer
Josephine Clara Goldmark - American reformer
Josephine Baker - American dancer, singer, and actress
Josephine Siao - Hong Kong actress
Josephine St. Pierre Ruffin - American journalist
Josephine Preston Peabody - American writer
Princess Josephine Sophia Ivalo Mathilda of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat (b. 2011), daughter of Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat and Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark, Count of Monpezat
- Josephine in song, story & screen
Josephine March (aka "Jo"), the tomboyish heroine of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women
Josephine, Tony Curtis' female alter ego in "Some Like It Hot"
Josephine Potter (aka "Joey"), character on the TV show "Dawson's Creek"
"Come Josephine in My Flying Machine", song published in 1910
"Not Tonight, Josephine", song by Slade
"Josephine", song by Tori Amos
"Josephine", song by The Wallflowers
"Josephine", song by Magnolia Electric Co.
"Dis-Moi Josephine", song by Josephine Baker
"Hello Josephine", song by Van Morrison
"Josephine", song by Chris Rea
"My girl Josephine", song by Fats Domino
"Josephine", song by Reamonn
"Josephine", song by Cubic Zirconia
"Oh Josephine", song by the Black Crowes
"My Girl Josephine", song by Super Cat
"Yes Tonight Josephine", song by Johnny Ray
"Hello, Josephine", song by Fats Domino
"Goodnight Sweet Josephine", song by the Yardbirds