Kate Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Katie:
A pet form of any of the various names beginning with the element Kat(h), Katie is also commonly bestowed as an independent given name.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Kate? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Kate
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Kate
- Comments and insights on the name Kate
- Personal experiences with the name Kate
- Nicknames for Kate
Katee, Katerbug, Katie, Katy, Katybug, Katydid, KT, KatieKat, KatieKate,Kit-Kat, Kates, Kitty, Citrum, spaz, Kash, K8 Katertot
- Meanings and history of the name Kate
Diminutive of KATHERINE, often used independently. It has been used in England since the Middle Ages. This was the name of the woman who Petruchio marries and tries to tame in Shakespeare's comedy 'Taming of the Shrew' (1593). A famous bearer is the British actress Kate Winslet (1975-).
- Famous real-life people named Kate
Gosh there are lots and lots of great Kates!
Kate Hudson daughter of Goldie Hawn and Bill Hudson.
Kate Beckinsale, actress
Kate Bosworth, actress
Kate Bush, musician
Kate Capshaw, actress
Kate Chopin, author from the late 19th century
Kate Constable, author
Kate Gosselin, reality show star ("Jon and Kate Plus Eight") and mother of sextuplets
Kate Bryan, hair, make-up and fashion firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kate Maberly, actress and musician
Kate Mara, actress
Catherine "Kate" Elizabeth Middleton, Her Royal Highness, Princess of England, Duchess of Cambridge and wife of HRH Prince William
Kate Moss, model
Kate Nash, singer
Mary-Kate Olsen, actress
Kate O'Mara, actress
Kate Rusby, English folk singer-songwriter
KT Tunstall, musician (born Kate Tunstall)
Kate Walsh, actress
Kate Winslet, actress
Kate Wolf, late American folk singer-songwriter
Kate Jackson, American actress
Kate O'Brien, Irish author
Kate Shortman, synchronised swimmer
Kate Nelligan, actress
Kate Adie, British news correspondent & journalist
Kate McGarrigle, Canadian musician and singer-songwriter
Kate Grace Kinnear (b. 2009), daughter of American actor and television personality Greg Kinnear and British glamour model Helen Labdon
- Kate in song, story & screen
Katherine Grace "Kate" Fitzgerald, a 16-year-old leukemia patient in the book "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult and the movie of the same name.
Kate Monster, main female character in the Broadway show "Avenue Q"
"Kate", a song by Ben Folds Five.
"Kate and Allie", an 80s American television series.
"Kate and Leopold", a 2001 film starring Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman.
"Kiss Me, Kate", a Cole Porter musical originally produced in 1948 based on Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew"
Kate Austen, character on TV's Lost
"Kate is Great" The Bouncing Souls
"Kate Kane," the new Batwoman (DC Comics)
Kate Forster, in the 2006 romantic film "The Lake House"
"Sister Kate" (how I wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate)
Kate Clephane, from Edith Wharton's "The Mother's Recompense"
Kate Thomas, one of the main protagonist from comedy film Norbit